Invitation to IRC party

Eray Ozkural (exa) erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr
Wed Oct 17 17:52:39 UTC 2001

> Friends,
> today Ian Geiseri and I met on IRC on #kde and after we yelled at each
> other for a while, we agreed that it would be a great idea to get
> together and discuss the future of our beloved project. We decided that
> IRC would be a good medium short of a real developers meeting which we
> can not have.
>
> So, in order to get this conducted in a civilized manner we should
> first agree on time and date. I would propose end of next week, i.e.
> the 26'th.

Hi Roland,

As a newbie kdevelop koder, I'm eager to hear your opinions. Would this IRC
meeting be held on #kde or would #kdevelop be a better place?

> Further we should have some idea what we want to drink, aehem, no
> wrong, what we want to discuss. Ian and I robbed off about the old MDI
> SDI discussion, that's getting old, we all have insulted each other
> over that way to many times, but send in your ideas. Maybe the list of
> desired features?

I'd like to work on a generic "graph based browsing" component similar to the
stuff in source navigator. It's just in the idea phase now, but it's not
going to be UML. (I know this will raise questions since there is already a
bunch of people working on UML stuff. Have a look at source navigator and
sniff first ;)

Some wishlist entries:
 1) Porting of "stuff that works" in 2.x to HEAD
 2) Making the UI most extensible, some sort of MDI probably, but ultimately
it boils down to technical decisions as I see.
 3) Making project information persistent. Through a database or other (fast)
means.

> Last but not least, this is going to be a party, not a flamefest! We
> are going to celebrate, hmmm, let me think, we are going to celebrate
> that KDEStudio actually does what KDevelop promised and that they
> kicked our ass and we look like a bunch of loosers.... Naaahhhh...

:P I actually don't think that KDEStudio kicks KDevelop's ass, but have to
check the latest version from them for a fair comparison. :)

I recommend that we seriously analyze what other IDE's have been offering and
which features would be targeted for a future release.

Regards,

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>

-