patch: Makefile cleanup

F@lk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 10:11:02 UTC 2001

Hi Simon,

Simon Hausmann wrote:

> FWIW a kdevelop binary using my patch is 2.9MB here. I wouldn't call
> that huge.
Using shared libs it's already 10501K here. A monolitic one would be
_much_ bigger, Debugging KDevelop-2 is hell even with a GHz-computer. I
introduced that concept of shared libs when I had just 700MHz Athlon and
starting the debugger that was loading kdevelop took me more than 5
minutes! Noone can develop for KDevelop in that way. Even I would give
up fixing version 2.

If your story with the ELF concept and the binary size for the monolitic
version is true, your patch might be interesting for releases and we may
apply/activate that patch 1 day before the release tag will be set. What
is the opinion of the rest of the KDevelop team?

But, please, do not apply it to the development branch (for the reasons
above)!!!

Cheers,F at lk