patch: Makefile cleanup

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Thu Nov 29 11:22:03 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 09:30:15AM +0100, F at lk Brettschneider wrote:
> Simon Hausmann wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just tried the 2_2 branch kdevelop and saw that it installs a hell
> > of a lot of shared libraries, for no apparent reason. Please review
> > the attached patch.
> >
> > Simon

> >                          Name: kdevelop_patch.txt
> >    kdevelop_patch.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
> >                      Encoding: quoted-printable
> Sorry, your patch is rejected.
>
> There are good reasons for dealing with shared libraries. Do you know
> why most programs aren't monolitic executables but a collection of
> shared libs?

Because usually shared libraries are used by multiple
binaries/libraries, which does not appear to be the case with the
kdevelop libraries? Besides, the plain libraries are useless for
third party programs anyway, because no headers are installed, and I
guess they libraries haven't been binary compatible in the past. To
me those look like internal libraries that are shared libraries for
no reason (they look unshared to me, reduce startup time, make the
code bigger (code is compiled with -fPIC)) .

Simon