Some design suggestion

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Tue Nov 27 19:22:04 UTC 2001

On Sunday, 25. November 2001 03:20, you wrote:
> > Sandy: I think there still will be some room for having individuality.
> > Besides
> > we should not separate KDevelop too much from KDE. (Otherwise we have
> > to remove the K.)
>
> I thought the K in KDevelop stands for "it is written using the KDE
> toolkit" and nothing more. :-)
Well, initially three years ago, that was barely the case. Heck, we didn't
even dream of the success that kdevelop surely got throughout the years!
Now, I see it somewhat different. As being tied to the "main" KDE project
over time now myself, I think of KDevelop more of an integral part of a wider
strategy for KDE, just like KOffice may be also an office suite developed
using the KDE technology, it is basically an integral part also of that
strategy.  That is the reason why I wanted the kdevelop releases to be tied
to the KDE releases to a certain extend to ensure that there is a version of
kdevelop available that works with the current KDE release as best as
possible. The result is that we have almost all KDE apps that are build
outside the KDE project made with KDevelop throughout this year. KDE surely
wouldn't have that many third-party apps (and admittedly, the quality of the
apps is a *lot* better now than in the old KDE 1.x times :) if it weren't
because KDevelop ships with it and brings all the easy means to the
developers or wanna-become-a-developer guys and gals out there.

Besides, a lot of the promotional work - if not all - that I did by travels
to tradeshows and linux expos couldn't have been done without KDE and the
ties that it has. For example, the week at Comdex wouldn't have been possible
if Trolltech wouldn't have welcomed me to run a KDE booth at their booth with
me basically promoting KDE technology and, as being very developer-centric,
KDevelop as a VC++ replacement. The KDE e.V. paid for the 4 nights that I had
to be in the hotel. On the other hand, the KDE e.V. is the entity that lets
us get donations; otherwise we would have to have our own
club/non-profit-company regarding the importance that KDevelop got over the
years.

Regards,

Ralf