Gideon under KDE2

F@lk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 23:12:40 UTC 2001

Harald Fernengel wrote:

> does ist make sense to release KDevelop 2 along with KDE3?
> People will expect
> new features with a new major release, which we don't have.
The people will want KDevelop also for KDE3.
Technically, we need to recompile and relink to KDE3/Qt3.
Otherwise, people would need kdelibs2 additionally installed to run
KDevelop.
It would be the same situation as with KDE2 and KDevelop-1.3;
KDevelop-1.4 was just thought as 1:1 port to the new KDE generation.

> Maybe we should
> detach KDevelop 2 from the KDE release cycle and release one or two minor
> bug-fix releases when the time is right.
I love to be in the KDE release cycle. The short time distances between
their releases enables to keep KDevelop very synchronized with the
latest bugfixes without any effort for us.
For example: today I fixed an evil memory leak but unfortunately I must
wait until KDevelop-2.0.3 that fortunately could be soon, the KDE3-beta1
date.

> For KDE3 I suggest a parallel Gideon Beta 1 or RC 1 release.
In my opinion the user of KDevelop is the target group for a release
with KDE, not possible developers of KDevelop. There are daily cvs
snapshots for the latter.

New version means to make users more happy not to show that there's
still something going on. ;-)

Don't get me wrong, in the long run KDevelop-3 will be the next
generation but it's not today. Distributors would be confused, users
would be disappointed with the downgrade. Detach Gideon from KDE release
cycles, stabilize version 2 WITHOUT ADDING NEW FEATURES.

Ciao,
F at lk