partselector

Sandy Meier smeier at kdevelop.org
Sat May 12 12:28:18 UTC 2001

On Thursday, 10. May 2001 23:08, you wrote:
> So I think we need configuration on a per-project basis. But maybe
> for some parts it makes sense to be present always, and not only
> when a project is loaded. What is the best way to implement this?
> Offer both a global and a per-project part selector? Let the parts
> decide themselves whether they are global or not? Any other
> possibilities?

I think the best would be a global and a per-project part selector. Most of
the time the interesting properties are the Context (global,project) and the
Programming Languages (C++,C,Java...) the part will work correctly. In my
opinion the parts should declare some hints in their desktop file. Something
like this:

for the C++ Debugger
-------
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
ServiceTypes=KDevelop/Part
X-KDE-Library=libkdevdebugger
Context=project
Programming-Languages=C,C++

for the grep view
--------
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
ServiceTypes=KDevelop/Part
X-KDE-Library=libkdevgrepview
Context=global
Programming-Languages=

These hints are only used for the first load of a project or KDevelop. After
this the user configuration (part selector) will be used.

Ciao!
Sandy

--
The question is not, can they reason? nor,can they talk?
but, can they suffer? (Jeremy Bentham)

-