documentation inside gideon

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 8 23:41:28 UTC 2001

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Sandy Meier wrote:
> > The way it is currently implemented is that all tables of contents
> > that are installed in $prefix/share/kdevdoctreeview/tocs (iirc) are
> > displayed in the tree. This works for the python, perl and php docu-
> > mentation if it is detected by configure.
>
> If I understand it correctly third party developer can add documentation by
> installing an addition "toc" file or?

Yes.

> >If this doesn't work for
> > you (or someone else), look in gideon.m4.in and add your distribution-
> > specific path in the 'phpdocdirs=' line. I think I'll also add some
> > more warnings in configure.in.bot so that the user who compiles from
> > source can immediately see when something went wrong without going
> > through the whole configure output.
>
> Yes, but I think it should be possible to add documentation at runtime. If
> the user download a newer version or similar. But I don't have a solution how
> to solve this problem. :-(

A big problem with the current system is that it doesn't cope with
different versions of a 3rd party package. For example, our Python
toc will not work with Python 1.5 which didn't have Unicode (that's
why I asked for the version included in Debian), so the link to the
Unicode chapter will be broken. The only way to solve this is if
Python/PHP include the meta info files themselves. I'm quite sure
this will happen sooner or later at least with documentation based
on the XML version of DocBook which will become standard in KDE,
GNOME, and the LDP over the next few months. Oh, another possibility
that would work for DocBook XML is to read the meta info the first
time the respective document is read in (with QDom) and cache it
on disk. Later the time-stamps of the meta info file and the original
documentation can be compared and the info updated when the docbook
file has changed. But since DocBook documents can be distributed over
many files and QDom doesn't support external entities (at least not
in Qt 2.x), this is certainly not trivial to implement.

Bernd.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«