project management

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 3 21:50:23 UTC 2001

On Sun, 03 Jun 2001, you wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Richard Dale wrote:
> > I've found the _JAVA primary reasonably ok to use. The only problem with it
> > that I would like to be able to solve, is to not install '.class' files when a
> > '.jar' file is all that is wanted - it ends up installing both for me at the
> > moment. I'm afraid I don't know anything about ant or jakarta, and I haven't
> > used other Java IDEs to know how they might handle the project builds.
>
> Well, I've just seen it mentioned in at least two different magazines as
> a cross-platform solution for building java programs, so I thought it has
> some relevance... I haven't read the articles though
I am keen on KDE oriented Java development, rather than existing sorts of
Java development, and I think automake/am_edit etc. is a pretty essential part
of the (complicated) KDE build/install process. I would like to be able to build
perfectly standard KDE apps or KParts, which just happen to contain Java
resources for all or part of the application logic.

> > Here are some example Java oriented rules - the KDevelop front end would just
> > need to make it possible to specify something like these:
> >
> > data_DATA = koala.jar
> > datadir = $(kde_libraries)/java
> >
> > koala.jar: org/kde/koala/classjava.stamp
> >         $(JAR) cf koala.jar org/kde/koala/*.class
>
> Difficult. It's no problem to generate such rules, but to parse them (at
> least if you take into account the possibility that someone manipulates
> the Makefile.am by hand). I think it would make sense to add another
> primary to automake so that you write something like
>
>   kdejavadir = $(kde_libraries)/java
>   kdejava_JAR = koala.jar
>   koala_SOURCES = org/kde/koala
One restriction of the _JAVA primary is that you can only have one of them,
unlike _SOURCES. I would describe automake Java support as 'feeble, but
probably good enough'.

> Maybe one could add this to am_edit :-)
Never one to understand those 'smiley thingies' properly, I went and had a look.
...I like these author comments :-), but I agree changing the code doesn't look
so much fun:

-- Richard

                "This is really free software, unencumbered by the GPL.\n",
                "You can do anything you like with it except sueing me.\n",
                "Copyright 1998 Kalle Dalheimer <kalle\@kde.org>\n",
                "Concept, design and unnecessary questions about perl\n",
                "       by Matthias Ettrich <ettrich\@kde.org>\n\n",
                "Making it useful by Stephan Kulow <coolo\@kde.org> and\n",
                "Harri Porten <porten\@kde.org>\n",
                "Updated (Feb-1999), John Birch <jb.nz\@writeme.com>\n",