About what KDevelop-2.1 will be (was: Re: bug or feature ?)

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 01:43:04 UTC 2001

Falk,

--- "F at lk Brettschneider" <gigafalk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> But I think we should also put the Kate integration into the
> KDevelop-2.1 release bundled with KDE-3. We would have a second new
> killer feature beside the cross-compiling. Time is enough, I don't
> expect KDE3 before March.

That is definitely enough time to get it stable, but it needs testing
and lots of that.

> WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT? (Especially, the most guilty people:
> Ralf?
> Roland?)

Ralf, come forward on this, my opinion on it is known. Although merging
gives me the opportunity to implement a bunch of other things and clean
up the code somewhat. So, under the circumstances that we are looking
at March for the release of KDE-3, I'd say lets merge the kate part
KDE_2_2_BRANCH and stabilize it.

> Technically, it means to keep KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH synchronized with
> KDE_2_2_BRANCH which isn't hard to do says Roland.

There are two possibilities,

1 Merge the KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH down into the KDE_2_2_BRANCH
2 Keep the KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH synchronized with the KDE_2_2_BRANCH

these are different things.

> We are also able
> tag the 2.1 in a normal way on KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH. Of course
> KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH is only thought to be able to work with KDE3
> though.

At one point, KDevelop will focus on KDE-3 only, backwards
compaitiblity can then be dropped. This may be the point to switch from
option 2 to 1.

> Exa, you could decide to put the indention into Kate.

But talk to the kate developer first! Kate is a bit different and I
believe in kate all this is better done with a plugin and some
scripting anyway.

Another option, maybe a friendly fork is at this point not avoidable
any longer. This would give gideon the chance to come forward and
release with KDE-3.

Roland