Plugins mean extensibility (Re: Kate part in KDevelop-2 working)

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 05:13:06 UTC 2001

Sandy,

--- Sandy Meier <smeier at kdevelop.org> wrote:

> I think we will drop it then,or? Maybe Matthias can make some notes
> what to
> be done with it and how it worked together with the new interface.

Yes, that would be helpful.

> BTW: where can I finfd the new KTextEditor interface and the current
> Kate
> implementation.
> I have found kdebase/kate/interfaces/ but the implementation is
> empty. :-(

The interface for KTextEditor is in in kdelibs/interfaces, the
interface to Kate is in kdebase/kate/interfaces. The only working
implementation as of now is in kate in the sources. Look for
katedocument.cpp katedocument.h. It is very hard to understand this
interface unless you create kdoc/doxygen documentation for it with
KDevelop. I have even created a kate.kdevprj for this purpose and
linked the kate documentation. Then you can see how it works.

A Kate::Document inherits half a dozen classes that are all virtual
from KTextEditor, e.g. KTextEditor::Document, KTextEditor::Editor and
so on. Similar for a Kate::View. These together make up the interface.
The implementation classes are called KateDocument and KateView, these
actually do all the work and are the ones created throught the factory.

Create the documentation and you will see how this works.

> >Aer we going to dismiss that in favor of what the new
> > KTextEditor interface in KDE-3 is going to be. Also this means to
> part
> > from KDE-2.2.2 since the kate part doesnt exist there.
> Yes, but in my opinion we should drop support for KDE2.2. If Gideon
> gets it
> first stable release (I think it will take 1 year incl. beta phase)
> KDE 3.0
> will be the default desktop on many computers. And with KDE3 we have
> the
> KTextEditor interface,KScript and so. I know that I prefered KDE2.2
> some
> weeks ago, but the KDE3 API seems to be stable now.

Ok, I'll try to retain KDE-2 compatibility as long as possible anyway.
I still use it as my default desktop allthough I do development on
KDevelop for KDE-3.

Roland