Kate part in KDevelop-2 working

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 18:59:02 UTC 2001

Falk,

--- "F at lk Brettschneider" <gigafalk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > We have a choice to either merge in my changes now, i.e. merge the
> > changes I made back into the KDE_2_2_BRANCH.
> So your changes also work with KDE-2, don't they? You know that's the
> condition for KDE_2_2_BRANCH.

No, the kate part relies on kate from KDE-3 and the KTextEditor
interface which has been reworked for KDE-3. So, no, KDE-2 is out of
the question. But that shouldn't be a problem. We already have the
first beta, yes the quality is worse than ever but it will improve with
time.

> I think it's not too late, considering the KDE3 release to be again
> delayed at least 1 month. :)
> IMO the Kate feature should be get into 2.1, too.

We better get another beta out soon, see remarks above. Also please
consider that with this change KDevelop will be relying on that kdebase
is installed. There is at current no way around that, the KDE-3
KTextEditor interface design is sooo fucked up, there is actually not a
usable mimimal implementation in kdelibs. Any attempts to make a
productive proposal will be blocked by the "we want {vim,emacs}"
boneheads.

> Asking again:
> What do you think about synchronizing KDE_2_2_BRANCH and
> KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH, to lock KDE_2_2_BRANCH up and to switch 2.x
> development to KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH ???

This is in fact about one hour of work but with serious consequences.
Go check out the branch, test it, look at docViewMan and hate me for
what I have done to it :-)
The good news is, I have another week time (bad news since I am still
unemployed) before christmas. I can fix most of the missing stuff.

> (I don't call it a good idea to wait for KDE-3.1 when we think of
> Gideon
> which could be ready for a release until then)

<no comment/>

Roland