Kate part in KDevelop-2 working

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 01:27:03 UTC 2001

As it says in the subject line, the kate part is now working in
KDevelop-2.1 (branch KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH) with the current implementation
of KTextEditor and Kate in KDE-3.

I must say, this is quite an awkward interface that we have here. It
takes a long time to really figure out which functionality is "hidden"
where and the split between KTextEditor and Kate is more than quirky.

I realize there was a lenthy discussion about this already, but let me
say, this isnt anything that people outside, i.e. application
developers, are going to pick up with lot's of enthusiasm. It is just
plain complicated. KTextEditor::View and KTextEditor::Document should
do what the respective counterparts of Kate do now.

I suggest to do the "right thing" and move the implementation of
KTextEditor into kdelibs before the KDE-3 release and before this
interface is going to be frozen again for a long time.

I believe that an easy to use editor interface could be a nice
enhancement to KDE and would contribute to its popularity as a
development platform.

Regards,
Roland