Gideon preview release ?

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 01:38:28 UTC 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Sandy Meier wrote:
> If you really want to release a preview version in 2 weeks, please make sure
> (in the pressrelease) that everybody understand that this isn't a usable
> version, but a technologie preview with alpha software quality. Would be nice
> to hear what others think about the current status. (Bernd, Richard,
> Matthias....)
I'm afraid I've working on language bindings recently and haven't been able to
do any gideon stuff.

The main thing to be done is the Java debugger. I had planned to use Sun's
jpda library to write one in Java, which would take at least 3-4 weeks to get
something worthwhile going. However, if Thomas Kuhn's gcj/CNI adaption of the
KDE java bindings works ok, and we can get it checked into the cvs in about a
week. Then it will be just a matter of getting jbb's gdb front end to work with
Java/gcj - I don't know what is involved in moving to gcc 3.0 and associated
gdb version. But if the debugger works ok, two weeks might be about right - we'd
have a killer native code Java development tool all of a sudden. :-). Also, if
we use gdb it makes it much easier to debug mixed C++/Java code.

-- Richard

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«