documention of kdevelop

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 25 14:33:15 UTC 2001

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, you wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 23. August 2001 20:03, you wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > are we able to document the classes better than now? I saw through the code
> > and make a api reference and saw that many classes not well documented :(
> > It would be great if we could this because for somebody that see the code
> > the first time it's very difficult to see how something happen
> >  in the code :)
> >
> > It would be also great if we could make a new documention 'book' in
> > kdevelop how plugins and other improvments are coded with one ore two
> > examples :) This book would also contain an documention for the plugin api
> > may be like the microsoft SDK? I hope so we could many free and may be
> > commercial plugins in KDevelop 3 :)
> I think commercial plugins are not possible due to the licensing of the
> libraries and Sandy wanted to have it stay that way. If someone wants to have
> a new functionality that he puts into kdevelop, he should contribute it back
> to the community. I mean, it excludes commercial development but on the other
> hand it's quite fair for everyone. I can see the good points in no commercial
> plugins also, so I don't have the feeling I need to object to letting it stay
> that way it is.
Note that you can still write a commercial plugin for Gideon, it just has to be
Open Source. Just because you want to sell the plugin for money doesn't mean
that you have to keep the source private. If the plugin api for KDevelop is
changing fast (and improving), then if you don't have the source of the plugin
you might find that it no longer runs with the latest version of KDevelop. You
would be at the mercy of your closed source plugin supplier. I am not
personally a charity organisation, you will find that I include my company's
copywrite in code I write (or my own name according to mood :-) ):

    copyright            : (C) 2000-2001 Lost Highway Ltd. All rights reserved.

So what does that mean? Not that I want my company to dominate KDevelop
development, but that I wish to make money by selling the ability to write code
and support it. I don't think selling a 'closed box' executable makes
commercial sense for KDevelop anyway.

-- Richard

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«