a concept is needed! (was: Re: A final word (was:Re: What's up and what's hot))

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel mhk at caldera.de
Fri Aug 10 15:13:55 UTC 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, F at lk Brettschneider wrote:

> Matthias, Roland, at the moment there is just DARK FOG about the core
> functionality editor-handling/document-view-handling/visualization.

That is pretty much correct. This part consists of a lot of
ad-hoc code that 'just works' somehow. And as I understood the
idea behind gideon, it should be replaced by something better
step by step.

> Currently, we have these puzzle pieces that could be used:
> - QextMDI is ready to use for the visualization part (at least for 3 GUI
> modes).
> - There is some kind of a splitter-view manager in Gideon.
> - There is DocViewMan of KDevelop-2.
> - There are two concepts for the editor: Roland's Kate approach and your
> editor-interface

This is exactly the way to go. And I have the feeling that we
can put in the solution to our puzzle without affecting most
of the rest of the system. For example, I had a look at the
QextMDI stuff before, but I guess I don't know enough about
it. But I guess you can get it to work in gideon in a week or
two. And all that time, others can go on improving the Java
debugger, the editor, the project management. I guess that is
what I liked about the architecture.

So I think we are heading into the right direction.

Bye,
Matthias.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«