A final word (was:Re: What's up and what's hot)

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel mhk at caldera.de
Fri Aug 10 14:50:04 UTC 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Roland Krause wrote:

> > > - abstract editor interface, yeah it lets me use NEdit, so what, I
> > can
> > > go to tools and start NEdit on the file, that's all the benefit I
> > can
> > > see from this as of know.
> > No, if you click in the classview NEdit jumps to the correct
> > position. I
> > think editor plugins are a interesting technical challenge and in my
> > opinion
> > it works very well. (Thanks to Matthias, really got job!)
>
> Still, all you will get is the smallest common denominator of all
> editors. Since the editor is such a central part of an IDE it should be
> good, very good, indeed so good that it causes people to use the IDE.

Roland,

did you have a look at the interfaces? The have specifically
been designed to be modular, so you get more than the common
denominator! Ok, if you use NEdit running externally, you can
only load, save, goto lines. But if you use Kate, you can set
breakpoints right in the GUI, get the code completion window
etc. etc...

Bye,
Matthias.

-