Gideon

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Fri Aug 10 10:44:01 UTC 2001

On Friday, 10. August 2001 12:20, you wrote:
> Hmmm, I think the changes between KDE 1.x and KDE 2 aren't comparable to
> the changes that will be made between KDE 2.2 and KDE 2.3(?) based on Qt3.
> Sandy is right when he says that we might lose beta users who haven't the
> "Qt3 KDE" installed. I think matching Gideon to Qt3 is not going to cause
> many work. So on my opinion we should wait until a certain time (maybe when
> the KDE team ships the first beta/alpha version based on Qt3) so that there
> is a user base that uses the "Qt3 KDE". At the other side, Qt3 offers some
> interesting things. How to other projects (KOffice) answer this problem?
They all switch because the plan for KDE 3.0 is to release in January. The
switch to Qt 3 will be in 3 weeks (first week of september). See Dirk
Müller's mail on KDE 3.0 at lists.kde.org or kde-core-devel. Qt 3 isn't that
revolutionary IMHO. That justifies the switch of us, too. Otherwise we'll run
into trouble for many things:
-the source incompatibility isn't estimated as far as it affects us yet
-we will have to do the porting later which says we're using API methods
which are away probably later
-we're using admin to work at the autoconf/automake level which will switch
the check to Qt 3

Given that and the fact that the source incompatibility mostly affects the
kde styles and that the extended API of Qt 3 is easier to use and we save
time by switching right away instead of later, I think that are very valid
reasons. See my other reply to Sandy.

Ralf

> Bye,
> 	Victor
>
> -
> kdevelop-devel-request at kdevelop.org with the following body: unsubscribe
> »your-email-address«

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«