Compiler cache

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 2 11:40:56 UTC 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Sandy Meier wrote:
> I think a plugin, which contains the compilercache and offers some settings
> would be nice too. Otherwise nobody will use this, only the advanced user.

What I meant is that we already have this setting. What we should add to
our compiler .desktop files (even without this stuff) is a variable that
contains the binary name of the compiler. So, for example, if you choose
the Portland compiler, the CC setting changes to 'pgcc' automatically
(while it is still overridable by the user). With this, we get the
compiler cache setting for free: just install an additional .desktop file
which is essen-tially identical to
plugins/gccoptions/kdevgccoptions.desktop, change the comment line to 'GNU
C with cache' and the Exec line to 'gcc-cached'. => By just choosing 'GNU
C with cache' as compiler, the user can switch to the compiler cache.

Of course, this requires the compilercache symbolic links to be installed
as 'gcc-cached' etc. instead of 'gcc', but this is a good idea anyways.

Bernd.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«