Fwd: Re: KDevelop editor interfaces

Cullmann Christoph crossfire at babylon2k.de
Mon Apr 23 16:09:58 UTC 2001

Am Montag, 23. April 2001 18:03 schrieben Sie:
> Am Montag 23 April 2001 17:55 schrieben Sie:
> > A comment about the views:
> >
> > I would not expose the views through the public interfaces. I believe
> > views should be an implementation detail of the editor. Imagine a editor
> > which does not support multiple views at all, or a editor which
> > implements views as children of an internal tab widget. (or a emacs
> > gnuclient frontend, with no views at all) . The only thing I would put
> > into the public interfaces is some way to pass a parent widget through.
> > But for the rest I would keep views away from the interface. (what do you
> > need them for, anyway? :)
>
> That is exactly the point. The interface should start with the smallest
> common denominator, and aggregate more complex interfaces. Why should
> kdevelop care about the views? There is no sense in separating the views
> from the document, and then exposing the views. KDevelop needs access to
> the document, and the view management should be the concern of the editor
> part.
>
> I also think that if there is a interface that can only be implemented by
> kate (and perhaps another new kxyz editor), then it is not worth to create
> such an interface at all. Then we could just link against kate directly.
> But I think we would loose a lot of potential in that case.
With your interface kdevelop will loose its nice gui which is usable. There
will be no nice way to use 2 editor parts at once, like text, html + a docu
editor within a nice GUI because not all these parts are managed by one
doc/viewmanager, you will end up with 10000 windows with different gui,
shortcuts ..........) Than each dev can use emacs + kdbg + gcc + konsole,
that will be more easy to use.

cu
Christoph

--

| |   / /               - get an edge in editing -
| |/ /      a fast and capable multiple document,
|     \     multiple view text editor for KDE
| |\  \     cullmann at kde.org
| |  \  \   http://devel-home.kde.org/~kate

-