Fwd: Re: KDevelop editor interfaces

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel mhk at caldera.de
Mon Apr 23 16:03:05 UTC 2001

Am Montag 23 April 2001 17:55 schrieben Sie:

> A comment about the views:
>
> I would not expose the views through the public interfaces. I believe views
> should be an implementation detail of the editor. Imagine a editor which
> does not support multiple views at all, or a editor which implements views
> as children of an internal tab widget. (or a emacs gnuclient frontend, with
> no views at all) . The only thing I would put into the public interfaces
> is some way to pass a parent widget through. But for the rest I would keep
> views away from the interface. (what do you need them for, anyway? :)

That is exactly the point. The interface should start with the smallest
common denominator, and aggregate more complex interfaces. Why should
kdevelop care about the views? There is no sense in separating the views from
the document, and then exposing the views. KDevelop needs access to the
document, and the view management should be the concern of the editor part.

I also think that if there is a interface that can only be implemented by
kate (and perhaps another new kxyz editor), then it is not worth to create
such an interface at all. Then we could just link against kate directly. But
I think we would loose a lot of potential in that case.

Bye,
Matthias.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«