Fwd: Re: KDevelop editor interfaces

Simon Hausmann sh at caldera.de
Mon Apr 23 12:50:43 UTC 2001

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:44:28PM +0200, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> What I really see as waste of time and work is kdevelop and quanta
> maintaining there own text editing componenten, with nearly the same bugs,
> whereas we could create a generic stable editor, which can be used for both.
> Kate is just an example app and a NICE EDITOR (ok, I have to admit that I'm
> working on kwrite/kate).

I believe this is the whole point about developing a generic and (more
important) modular set of interfaces for a 'text' editor. One thing that
I think it is very important, while designing and developing the interfaces
for that, to actually have two implementations. Let the first one be kate
and the second one a simple QMultiLineEdit based one. Not with the goal
to keep the latter for a released version but to always keep in mind the
genericity of the interfaces. Otherwise you end up in developing an interface
for one editor, working nicely for that one and theoretically capable to
work with 'any' other one. But as long as it's never done it remains theory
and the risk of getting an interface specific for one editor is high, IMHO,
which is quite the contrary of what the whole thread is about ;-)

Bye,
 Simon

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«