Fwd: Re: KDevelop editor interfaces

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 23 12:44:28 UTC 2001

Hi

[SNIP]

>As far as Kate itself goes, we discussed about that and I really don't
>see the point of it's development. It just makes the user more confused
>if he has a half-ide-like app (kate) and an IDE with kdevelop who's idea
>is to fullfill exactly the same requirements and abilities. The plan
>behind kdevelop 3 (2.0 originally before gideon) was to make it a loose
>framework where we can write plugins for all languages so it can be used
>as a complete IDE for those, including HTML and PHP. I don't quite see
>the point that the kdebase module ships kate then if kdevelop does the
>same job in it's minimal version. I know that christoph quite doesn't
>like the idea, but that was the target even before kant/kate showed up
>and I don't know who made the decision to put it into kdebase as from
>the user's point of view I would say it's more confusing than helpful.

[SNIP]

>Ralf

I don't see kate as an oponent to kdevelop, it has different goals.

1) Why should someone need a complete, large IDE just to edit eg one C file ?
2) It extends the kwrite component in that way that you don't have hundreds
of entries in your taskbar in a size you can't even see them any more in
containing some document management within itself

3) It's a good example for the use of a generic, good working text editing
component. Which will help other developers to save time, cause they don't
have to write there own editior  (or fork it) (kdevelop, quanta, kafka, ....)
they can extend it dynamically for there needs.

I think kate/kwrite should be supported better, especially from you kdevelop
developers, since it offers you a full blown text editor, which you don't
need to maintain. Look at your kwrite fork and how buggy it seams often (in
1.4 branch).

What I really see as waste of time and work is kdevelop and quanta
maintaining there own text editing componenten, with nearly the same bugs,
whereas we could create a generic stable editor, which can be used for both.
Kate is just an example app and a NICE EDITOR (ok, I have to admit that I'm
working on kwrite/kate).

I don't see kate as an IDE, I see it as an replacement for EMACS in the K
World.

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger

-