Getting started with jdb support

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 21:56:46 UTC 2001

I've created a part called javadebugger. All I've done is to change gdb type
names to jdb ones:

/home/duke/src/kdevelop-2.0/kdevelop/parts/javadebugger
tipitina duke 775% ls
Makefile              dbgpsdlg.cpp             jdbcontroller.h
Makefile.am           dbgpsdlg.h               jdbparser.cpp
Makefile.in           disassemblewidget.cpp    jdbparser.h
breakpoint.cpp        disassemblewidget.h      kdevjavadebugger.desktop
breakpoint.h          framestackwidget.cpp     kdevjavadebugger.rc
breakpointdlg.cpp     framestackwidget.h       memviewdlg.cpp
breakpointdlg.h       javadebuggerfactory.cpp  memviewdlg.h
breakpointwidget.cpp  javadebuggerfactory.h    stty.cpp
breakpointwidget.h    javadebuggerpart.cpp     stty.h
dbgcommand.cpp        javadebuggerpart.h       variablewidget.cpp
dbgcommand.h          jdbcommand.cpp           variablewidget.h
dbgcontroller.cpp     jdbcommand.h
dbgcontroller.h       jdbcontroller.cpp

It would add an additional menu 'Java Debug' - I think it is useful to be able
to debug C++ and Java at the same time.

<!DOCTYPE kpartgui SYSTEM "kpartgui.dtd">
<kpartgui name="KDevJavaDebugger" version="1">
<MenuBar>
 <Menu name="javadebug">
  <text>&Java Debug</text>

..and a .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
Exec=blubb
Comment=Java Debugger frontend
Name=KDevJavaDebugger
Icon=
ServiceTypes=KDevelop/Part
X-KDE-Library=libkdevjavadebugger

So, to get started how about checking in these files, so that we can hack
them together in the CVS until they work properly with jdb? This approach
wouldn't lose anything Oliver has already done, it should be possible to put
those changes in and have something working as well as his 'hard coded
experiment'.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Oliver Strutynski wrote:
> I had a look at the debugger stuff and made a first attempt at porting
> the gdbcontroller to work with jdb. So far I was able to make a connection to
> JDB for sending commands and to use Gideon to step through a Java app (one
> file only as that is currently hard coded) and to follow these steps in the
> source code. Also I got the framestack widget working with JDB.

-- Richard

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Richard Dale wrote:
> I've just checked out the latest KDevelop 3.0 - nice work Bernd! I've reviewed
> the debugging part code (nice work too jbb), and I think the best thing to
> do is to copy the code into a new 'javadebugger' part. Otherwise, you're trying
> to make some quite tricky code more flexible than it was originally intended, at
> the same time as adding a new debugger. I would solve one problem at once.
> When the jdb frontend is working, perhaps look into consolidating them back
> together again.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«