TODO list for 2.0

F@lk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 11:33:11 UTC 2001

Hi,

I noticed that you often send "bugreports" about things which are known
but simply not implemented yet due lack of time and man power.
Well, I tore down the whole GUI interface (editor views, docu views,
tool views, menu/toolbar slots) and now we've been in the rebuild weeks,
things have to be reactivated with the MDI/docking property.

You're right, it's pretty unstable at each and every corner but that's
the price for internet team work on a branch. I didn't want to let it on
my computer locally only, to give you the oportunity of paticipation.

So what is still to do? What are known bugs?
- Tab page mode of QextMDI is in deep alpha stage. That's why the
version of QextMDI is called 2.0pre. Many cases for that mode simply
aren't implemented yet. For instance switching through the MDI modes. I
only actived Tab Page mode to let developers the oportunity to finish
the implementation of that MDI mode if there was a volunteer. In case of
timeout, I simply will disable Tab page mode, and we will only have
Childframe MDI mode and Toplevel MDI mode for KDevelop-2.0 (like in
QextMDI-1.0).

- The dockability of all tree and output view is new in the code,
    - a hide/show menu (in menuBar()->viewMenu) is still to be
implemented.
      (Likely using KDockMainWindow::dockHideShowMenu())
    - the old toolbar buttons for showing/hiding the trees/outputviews
aren't removed, yet,
      although they don't make sense any more, or we implement them as
on/off switch for a group
      of tool-dockwidgets
    - Switching the tab caption appearance doesn't work properly.
    - tool view states (geometry, position,...) aren't saved to
kdeveloprc

- the mainframe window geometry, MDI mode parameters aren't saved to
kdeveloprc, yet. Needs implementation.

- Choosing the default MDI mode by an additional dialog widget in the
KDevelop setup program isn't implemented yet.

- the MDI view taskbar isn't restored properly although it is saved to
kdeveloprc in the right way.
  And there's a flicker effect in the taskbar from time to time, seems
to be an event cycle.

- Saving the files is not sure at present, Try to close a modified view
and it is closed without warning.

- Autosaving the editor files jumps to line 1 which is very annoying.

- Setting the editor cursor by activating the editor view doesn't work
in all cases. The reason seems to be that setFocus() for the embedded
editor widget isn't always called if you activate the covering widgets
(Scrollbar, view frame window, caption...)

- Proper enabling/disabling of toolbarbuttons/menuitems depending on the
program state doesn't work correctly. Often some "actions" are allowed
which do not make sense in that certain situation.

- Printing is currently under rebuild by JBB. It will be based on
KPrinter

- Code completion buildin of KDEStudio is still missing. I've no idea to
get it work here with a SuSE-7.0 system. Ralf, I tried your hints, but
with the same result as before. I gave up code completion and focus on
the MDI again.

- code cleanup is needed.

--------
Well, this is the current TODO list, maybe I forgot something you could
add. Probably we can put this on a public TODO list.

I would highly appreciate your help. Don't hesitate to focus on one or
two of the issues. Then we will become stable within the next 4 weeks.

I don't want to talk about putting stuff out again, when they have
initially put in 2 days before. There's no need to worry, we can get it
until the release day. IMO in case of emergency we are not forced to
release at the same day as KDE-2.2 although it would be good.

Ciao,
F at lk