[Fwd: A new IDE for a new milleneum :-)]

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 1 21:17:45 UTC 2001

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Christian Couder wrote:
> If your IDE makes it harder to come to this goal, why would I support it
> ?

Harder than what?

> > Ief you give me an embedabble emacs component with an
> > interface that has everything kwrite has, I'll
> > give you an emacs-enabled kdevelop in 10 minutes.
>
> You know it doesn't exists so you take no risk by saying this...
>
> Now could you integrate Kant/Kate in ten minutes ?

It is already integrated, just with a different name :-)
If you find it more aesthetical, you can of course add a
factory class to lib/kwrite/texteditor.cpp, and declare
all virtual methods in a separate interface and add a .desktop
file. But it is certainly more logical to fix the kant/kate/
whatever name is fashionable today's part instead and use it
when it is finished.

> And even if you could, then why did you say in a previous mail that "the
> buffer/view semantics are very much integrated in the Core class" ?

Because they are. The buffer/view stuff basically needs the constructors
for TextEditorView and TextEditorDocument and the method to load a file.
It is fundamentally based on the concept that you have a document class
which corresponds to a file, and can create view instances for a given
document which are for their whole lifetime attached to the same document.
Not every editor does it like this. For example, in emacs, any lisp
expression can potentially change the buffer that belongs a given window.
Other editors may not support multiple views per document at all, or not
support 'pure' documents without any view. Qt is even more different:
Without hacking the QText sources, the api is such that with every
QTextEdit you instantiate, you also create a document. After the creation,
you can set the view to a different document.

Bernd.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«