getSubDir vs. getProjectDir

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Oct 29 10:09:41 UTC 2000

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Falk Brettschneider wrote:
> So we still have to problems:
> 1.) Why do we need a make clean call in the project's root directory
> although all sources (as well as any autoconf/automake subprojects) are
> located in the subdirectory of the same name as the project (which means
> that temporary stuff is also there in that subdir)?

Because
1.) It's not true in general that sources are located in a subdirectory
of the same name as the project. It's the way KDevelop 1.2's appwizard
sets up an automake project, but in practice it's very unusual. See
e.g. http://www.gnu.org/manual/automake/html_node/automake_4.html#SEC4
for some packages maintained by the FSF.
2.) make clean doesn't affect only the sources, but also documentation
and translations. For texinfo documentation e.g., it removes dvi files.
3.) Many people develop with srcdir != builddir (which is essential
when developing for multiple architectures). KDevelop should support
this (which implies that the directory in which configure is invoked
has to be configurable too).

BTW, last time I checked kdevelop generated Makefile.am's which
didn't support srcdir!=builddir in the install-data-local section.
Is this fixed meanwhile?

> 2.) Why does it happen that Ralf runs make clean in KDevelop although he
> run make clean in the source subdirectory of his example project?

Because of a bug probably ;-)

Bernd.