Complete Manuals Book

Ralf Funken RFunken at kdevelop.de
Wed May 17 18:56:37 UTC 2000

Am Mit, 17 Mai 2000 schrieben Sie:
> On Wed, 17 May 2000 you wrote:
> >
> > > asked, but we wouldn't have to. The permission to print mustn't depend on getting
> > > a compensation, though. If the publisher would gives us our share, that would be
> > > OK, of course. :-)
> > I would say that as we´re seeking translators those will automatically
> > be registered by Martin. Therefore we can apply A and B.
>
> Yes, if all authors apply you can change it. But please keep in mind that if
> your choose option A and B the KDevelop manuals aren't free anymore
> (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#DocumentationLicenses). There
> are "only" open and free in the sense of "free beer". Personaly I can live
> with it, just want to be mentioned it on the this list. :-)
I agree, that's why I suggested to use only B, so only commercial use is
restricted. Besides, it doesn't matter if the translators are registered or not,
following the license, he would have to ask for permission for every translation
he makes. OK we could handle this inside the team, but what if anyone translated
the file, maybe for private use or he wants to do us a favour and risked double
work and didn't tell us before. Doing so would violate the license. Using 'A'
would take more rights away than I intend to. IMHO we should provide as much
freedom as the GPL provides, except for when it comes to commercial use and that
is achieved by explicitly NOT using option 'A' and explicitly using option 'B',
or did I get the license wrong here?

Ralf

--
Ralf Funken