missing variable PO in Makefile.am

W. Tasin tasin at e-technik.fh-muenchen.de
Thu Mar 2 17:44:47 UTC 2000

Martin Piskernig wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> > How should we handle this??!!!
> > First I wrote this only to developer... should I also post this to the
> > mainlist?
>
> Does POFILES = AUTO work in normal (=non-kde-)applications?

AFAIK ... the substitution of AUTO to all the po files will be done by
the call "perl am_edit"

> Then we should use it whenever possible and po-files will automatically
> be compiled and installed.
> I don't consider using the Qt style of doing translation a bad idea but it would
> mean to change all i18n() to tr(), writing some lines of code for the extra
> qt translation (see their short instructions in the qt docs) and generally leave
> standard gettext paths. I'll have a look how translation is done for e.g. bash
> or other gnu utils. This would be "the way to go"(tm). 'info gettext' says that
> every string can be used as the translation function, not only i18n() but also
> _() or transl(), which must be given to the (x)gettext by the -k switch.
> And I'll have a better look for the Qt way to maybe discover some advantages
> over gettext :-)

For KDEVELOP 1.x I suggest to remove the po directory from the
qt-2-application templates, like it is qt-1.44 normal.
(and of course the initial xgettext call in ckappwizard.cpp)

Here the reasons:

- We haven't any i18n() or _() or gettext() calls inside our template
source code.

- The application kdevelop 1.x also doesn't support internationalization
for qt 2 apps (i.e. menuentries are disabled,
in the actual state i18n() or _() or gettext() cannot be use inside a qt
application without modification... etc.).

- The developer should decide, which version he wants to use
  Would we include the #include <libintl.h> support some will
complaining about the usage,
  same for QTransl class.

Ciao

Walter
--
oohhh sveglia.... il mondo e' ammalato, ma x colpa di chi.........
(Zucchero)