KDockMainWindow should get new parents!

John Birch John.Birch at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jun 17 10:55:36 UTC 2000

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> John Birch wrote:
> > Good Morning,
> >
> > You'll have to merge the current KParts::MainWindow functionality (and
> > API) into this new class, but that doesn't look too hard to do.
>
> That would be one possiblity but we have to stay always in sync when the
> KParts::MainWindow interface/implementation changes which is not the
> best option- it would mean we have the same situation we had with KWrite
> code but then within kdelibs. Why not inheriting DockMainWindow directly
> from KParts::MainWindow ?

Well, yes and no - We're talking one class that resides in the same file as
the copy. It is duplicate code but not much. :-)
It also means
- we have a KDockMainWindow excatly as we have now for "normal" apps
- a KParts::DockMainWindow for dockable parts apps.

I like that this is in KParts namespace. It makes it more explicit as to what
is happening.

Templates could have been an option to prevent this code duplication but
that's not supported by moc :-(

jbb

PS: I tried it out - it seems to work well :-)