class KDevelop

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 16 11:02:07 UTC 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, John Birch wrote:

> > Actually, I wonder why KParts and dock windows aren't integrated
> > with each other from the very beginning.
>
> Well, a part and a dockable widget are not necessarily related...

Provided they don't do things which are inherently incompatible.
For example, PartManager installs an event filter on part children.
In the event filter, there is code like

 if ( w->topLevelWidget() != ((QWidget *)parent())->topLevelWidget() )
      return false;

So if widgets - like dock widgets - are reparented and don't have
the KParts::MainWindow as topLevelWidget() you will likely run
into problems here.

At least that's what I fear from the theoretical point of view.
Since you are doing it in practice, you will certainly see these
issues clearer :-)

Bernd.