class KDevelop

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 10:49:47 UTC 2000

Bernd Gehrmann wrote:

> > > No - it's tiny - surprisingly tiny :-) I would still hesitate to add this
> > > though. It makes me wonder if we have the right approach here.
>
> Actually, I wonder why KParts and dock windows aren't integrated
> with each other from the very beginning.
I didn't/don't find the time to bring the Dockwidgets to the latest
technologies of KDE2. I know there are some feature lacks down there.
Well, either the date of moving to kdelibs was a little bit late or KDE2
was a little bit fast with their Beta announce. Choose what you want...I
tend to the 2 version ;).

> I mean, why should
> KDevelop behave differently from Konqueror e.g.? Why should I not
> be able to tear off windows from Konqueror and move them around? :-)
:-) You would be flamed if you wrote this to kde-core-devel. :))

The opinion of several KDE gurus was that docking widgets is too
MSWindows-related, uncool and not what a mortal user can realize...
There was a discussion in the beginning of...

But anyway, I agree that the Dockwidget stuff is a quitely big overhead
what isn't wanted in every case.
The whole thing leads to a problem of object-oriented programming: What
should be inheritance-relationship and what should be a
has-relationship. In complex worlds it is hard to decide, because for
some objects it is better to _inherit_ from something, for others it is
better to _use_ something.

--

Ciao,
--Falk