KDevelop-1.1-beta1.0 Objective-C patch - using the Debugger with objc

jbb jbb at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jan 20 03:32:22 UTC 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, you wrote:

> I've updated my patch I submitted a couple of months ago for
> adding Objective-C support for KDevelop1.1beta1.0. Please find it attached to
> this email.
>
> Copy kdevelop-1.1-beta1.0objc.patch to the directory above KDevelop-1.1-beta1.0
>
> $ cd  kdevelop-1.1-beta1.0
> $ patch -p1 < ../kdevelop-1.1-beta1.0objc.patch
> $ ./configure
> $ make
> $ make install
>
> I've been trying out the new integrated debugger, and can confirm it works a
> treat in conjuction with a 'patched for Objective-C gdb'. You can set break
> points, step into method calls (or I could once I worked out I needed to run
> strip on my 'libobjc.a' runtime library file). And it seemed happy examining
> values in Objective-C instances. ...And then I was happy too! Love the little
> green arrow, and the syntax highlighting etc

If anyone out there is collecting stories about why open source works, here's
story number 1,000,001 :-)

> However, I like to keep my patched gdb in '/usr/local/bin' and the standard one
> in '/usr/bin' - so it would be useful to configure the path.

Okay. I'll add an option into the config file. Is this worth adding to the
debug options dialog though? Perhaps... Hmmm

> I couldn't get the GNUstep test app 'Edit.app' to run when statically
> linked (using a 'make debug=yes shared=no' command). So, to run the dynamically
> linked version, I started KDevelop from the command line to pick up a suitable
> value of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Then everything worked. I tried adding a '-x
> /tmp/gdb/env' command under 'Set debug arguments', but I don't think it was
> being passed to gdb.

Ah, that's being passed to the application not to the gdb startup. Not a good
description. I'll change that to
"Set app arguments when debugging"
OR
I could use the "Execute with arguments" arguments and use this for gdb
arguments. The problem with this, is that you have to startup your app with
"Execute with arguments" first.
OR
I could do "Debug with argruments" so that it works like "Execute with
arguments" _and_ have gdb arguments as well?

This last sounds better. Okay?

Question:
Should this patch be added to the 1.1 release? Does it break (or make it too
awkward for)  "normal" C/C++? Sandy?

> Would it be a good idea to have a 'Dynamic Link' options
> tab under the 'Project->Options...' menu?
>
> Automake doesn't work properly with Objective-C on the version of
> Linux that I have. That messes up auto adding objc files to KDevelop
> unfortunately for the moment. I think I have a suitable work around - it really
> needs another project type adding to the Project Creation wizard to set up the
> 'configure.in' and other files with the automake variables and macros that work
> with Objective-C (and a small fix for the 'automake' script'). I looked on the
> Cygnus web site, but couldn't find any documentation, although there were bug
> fixes apparently being logged for it.
>
> Regards
> -- Richard

Regards,