kdevelop 2

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 2 23:51:01 UTC 2000

Crikey - I hope I haven't sparked off a design war! I hacked Objective-C support
into KDevelop 1.0 in about a week and didn't get too theoretical about it. All I
wanted to do was stop it seg faulting when I edited Objective-C code. I would
say adding 'elegant interfaces' for alien language support might be more work
than 'just doing it'.

Objective-C is effectively a superset of C++, therefore adding Objective-C
support just involves extending the C++ parser, not replacing it. However, Java
support (I'm very keen on this) would involve implementing a new parser and
tokeniser. Also Objective-C uses gdb like C++, whereas Java uses jdb. I think
the greatest difficulty with Java support is the debugging side, the parsing of
the source is relatively straightforward. And I don't know how well it works
with autoconf/automake - I see there are Java .m4 macros in there in autoconf,
but I don't know what they do yet.

-- Richard