new 1.2 release date proposal

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 16 12:51:47 UTC 2000

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Sandy Meier wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 you wrote:
> Hi!
>

> > Correct me, if I´m wrong here- I know that will cause some more work for
> > you Sandy, but nevertheless this *is* an issue. The unlicensed
> > C-Reference causes enough trouble to my mind because some distributors
> > don´t include it because of that. So, do we have the permission to GPL
> > the template or not is the question for me. If not, change it, if, leave
> > it and update CVS ;-)
>
> Ok, there were some misunderstandings I think. The gnome-template was GPL
> and I convince the author to give us the program without a license (public
> domain). We need this, otherwise the user can't change the generated framework
> to BSD or similar he want. I don't have an idea whether this is the correct way
> but it seems to be logical in my opinion. :-)

Well, without a license you can do nothing with a piece of software.
According to copyright law, if you write a program and gieve it to
someone, he is _not_ allowed to redistribute it unless you give him
a license. BTW, at least in germany, "Public domain" doesn't exist;
you can of course give a license that reads "This program may be used,
distributed and modified without limitation", but even in that case,
you retain the copyright.

Bernd.