Makefiles

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Jun 12 18:26:51 UTC 1999

Sorry to pester again with this issue, but the
make files are again un_suitable for making
packages. I could fix them, but the problem
is obviously that you are letting KDevelop
generate the Makefile.am's, turning any manual
change into a fight against the Hydra ;-)
See e. g.

cvs diff -r 1.17 -r 1.18 kdevelop/kdevelop/docs/en/Makefile.am

The ultimate solution for this is to use am_edit,
but this is probably the wrong point of time to
switch (at least I would not want to take the
responsibility if everything breaks :)

So to get this at least right for the release, let
me explain the issue: The whole trick behind package
making is to install them into a staging area instead
of /usr/foo/bla. In the current autoconf setup, this
is done by setting DESTDIR. In short, if you want to
test if the make files are right, type in

mkdir foo
../configure
mmake
make install DESTDIR=foo

(as user, not as root!). Then everything should install
under the directory foo. If the make files are not correct,
you probably get an error 'Permission denied' when the
make file tries to install something into /usr/foo. The
solution is then to go into the respective Makefile.am and
prefix the used path with $(DESTDIR). For example, a html
file is installed with

install-data-local:
        $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)/$(kde_htmldir)/en/kdevelop/
        $(INSTALL_DATA) index-9.html $(DESTDIR)/$(kde_htmldir)/en/kdevelop/index-9.html

(for example)

Ciao,
Bernd.