Discusion "Release 1.0beta1 and licenses"

Sandy Meier smeier at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Jul 27 08:40:13 UTC 1999

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 you wrote:
> Stefan Heidrich wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> OK with me, although I think a separate release date besides the KDE
> release isn't necessary. I would suggest offering the 1.0Beta 1 with KDE
> at the same day. I have my exam on thursday and won't get much done
> until monday to complete the library handbooks which I would like to...

The problem is that we must have an working KDK two weeks before KDE 1.2, so
everbody can test it.

> > We don't know, which licence should have the generated programs. Sandy and I
> > think, they should have no licence, and so they are copyright-free. I think
> > this is the better way for all, because everyone  can choose the licence for
> > its own program by itself.
>
> Can't you choose that already in the appwizard ? (except the hint in the
> documentation). Commercials have more experience, so they know how to
> change the copyright, therefore I think we should leave it as it is for
> now or make additional templates without licenses.
>
> Ralfs

It's not only the generated program by application wizard. There are generated
files by the class generator and kdlgeditor too. In the last weeks I got some
emails on this topic, so we must decide this. I would like to leave it as
it is (I prefer default GPL projects :-) ) but make an additional statement for
copyright situation on generated files. Anybody who want to write this?

Ciao!

Sandy