Does KMail Require (via Akanodi) A Google Account?

Emmet West emmet.west at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 00:56:18 BST 2023

I'm trying to test out KMail (on Debian 12), with my yahoo!mail account. The wizard asks me to "Provide personal data", and then I click on "Next". Then it offers IMAP or POP; IMAP is pre-selected, and is what I need, so I leave that. There's an "Add Account" button under the "Pop" settings, so I leave that alone, and select "Next". Nothing happens. So I guess maybe I'm supposed to "Add Account", even though that's what I thought I was already doing, and even though it seems related to POP, which I'm not wanting to do? So I select "Add Account", reluctantly, and then a browser window opens asking me to log into a Google account. I close that window (I'm not wanting to log into a Google account), and get back to the KMail "Account Assistant", where it's asking for PGP-related stuff. That's too thick for my puny brain, so I unselect both checkboxes ("Secure your email?" and "Publish your key?") and click on "Next". Then I'm told my setup is complete, and I click on "Finish". That takes me back to the KMail window, and I find no evidence of my yahoo!mail account; I only find "Local Folders".

Does KMail require?! a Google account to work with non-Google mail accounts?
Thanks!
(PS. I'm not subscribed, so please CC me.)

--
Kent West                <"(((><Is it True?Westing Peacefully - https://kentwest.blogspot.com