base-64 ignored

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri May 27 18:29:25 BST 2022

On Friday, 27 May 2022 09:02:52 EDT Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Freitag, 27. Mai 2022 12:34:57 CEST gene heskett wrote:
> > My point Ingo, is that kmail makes no attempt to decode the base64 in
> > at least 80% of the incoming mail. Methinks there is a broken
> > mimetype somewhere.
>
> And I think it's invalid base64.
>
> > In one of my first posts in this thread, there was extra data
> > on the end of the Boundary statement, but no one commented on that,
> > which seems odd?
>
> Well, I guess nobody noticed. Or they noticed and thought, "Yeah, that
> looks perfectly alright." I for one only looked at the base64 data.
> > The opening statement:
> > ------=_Part_29546_1281477845.1653517724260
> > The closing statement:
> > ------=_Part_29546_1281477845.1653517724260--
> > The question becomes: Where did the extra "--" come from?
> >
> > As IUI, those statements must match in order to trigger a new
> > evaluation of a mimetype. They do not match.
>
> They do match. Except for the suffix "--" that indicates the end of the
> last body part. In fact, the standard even says
> "NOTE TO IMPLEMENTORS:  Boundary string comparisons must compare the
> boundary value with the beginning of each candidate line.  An exact
> match of the entire candidate line is not required; it is sufficient
> that the boundary appear in its entirety following the CRLF."
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2046#section-5.1.1

Well, that theory just went into the thundermug. Thanks for looking that
up.

But base64 --decode file, outputs no errors, just the html for a web
display which I finally did get FF to display.  However in displaying it,
FF insists of adding another / to the 2 after the file: and an F5 will
NOT redisplay it, but remove the extra / and hit return works.
 And that had no errors that the latest FF thought were worth displaying.

So I'm still bumfuzzled. Got to be a reason its not decoded and
displayed.

> Regards,
> Ingo

Cheers, Gene Heskett.