KMail: Local folders duplicated/replaced after crash

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Mon May 23 17:34:35 BST 2022

On Friday, 20 May 2022 12:11:16 BST Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> Dear List,
>

> After a KMail crash, I now have two sets of ‘Local folders’. The new one
> has empty folders. The old one is as before. In KMail, the old one can be
> deleted, but the new one can't. So somehow, KMail thinks that the new one
> is the real one.
>
> I'd like to delete the new one and make the old one the real ‘Local
> folders’, as before, e.g., being used for outbox activity.
>
> The old one is at
>
> 	~/.local/share/local-mail
>
> and the new one is at
>
> 	~/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_2
>
> Could anyone tell me how to return to my previous configuration?

There is an alternative configuration option in KMail which allows you to keep
your maildir storage in any filesystem location of your choice. I set mine up
to use ~/Mail as the storage location. It is presumably possible to use the
wizard which is invoked when you add a new receiving account in KMail's
Settings dialog, but instead I used akonadiconsole to add a new "Mail" /
"KMail Mail Folder" agent (both names are used interchangeably). Set its
location to point to wherever you keep your mails, and then configure your
identities to use its sent-mail, drafts and templates folders.

Note that KMail will always set up a Local Folders agent, which you can't
delete, and will use that for Trash. But otherwise, you can avoid using Local
Folders, so that it doesn't matter if KMail moves its location. Just make sure
that the "Mail" agent isn't configured to use a location which might clash with
Local Folders.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer, KAlarm author.