Ghost emails

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Thu May 19 15:12:23 BST 2022

On Thursday, 19 May 2022 14:54:50 BST rhkramer at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, May 19, 2022 08:58:46 AM gene heskett wrote:
> > I do, I read nearly all mail from local folders on my own machine, put in
> > those local folders by kmails filters, although some do live in the
> > inbox. Probably 50 unclassifiable messages there, no problem with them.
>
> Coming in from left field, but if you read most (all??) emails from local
> folders, have you ever (or ever considered) getting them with pop3 instead
> of imap?

My ISP doesn't offer IMAP so I have to use POP3. The problem there is that
KMail is notoriously bad at handling POP mail - to the extent that it was
actually worthwhile for me to set up a little mail server (on another machine,
but it could have been on the same one). That used fetchmail to collect mail
from the ISP and postfix to transfer it to dovecot, which runs as a local IMAP
server to my workstation.

In short, do everything you can think of to avoid POP3 in KMail.

Oh, and don't hold your breath waiting for better POP handling in KMail,
because the last I heard, none of its developers had a POP account to test it
with. Yes, really!

When I ran software projects, a comprehensive test environment was essential.
But then, we weren't all volunteers working in our spare time.

No offence meant to anyone.

Peter.