Gmail

rhkramer at gmail.com rhkramer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 18:50:32 BST 2022

On Thursday, June 02, 2022 10:58:02 AM Ian Douglas wrote:
> Is there a solution for Gmail?

What is the problem -- are you having trouble due to the recent change at
Google (to, if I get the words right, require Oauth2 authentication)?

If so, the alternate is to set up an application specific password.  I did that
this morning, and my old version of kmail (version 1.13.7 for kde 4.8.4 on
Debian Wheezy) works again using pop3 (it stopped working around 8:30am this
morning).

I had a little trouble setting it up until I got to the right place in google
-- I first tried to change the settings on the gmail webclient page but
couldn't find the correct options.  Then logged in on google.com and did find
the correct option (Security), and then, in general terms, turned on 2 step
verification and eventually found the option to set up an application specific
password.

I then entered that in place of the old passwords in kmail.  (I don't think it
stated it -- I wasn't sure whether to enter the spaces as part of the password
or not -- I did, and that worked.)