Transferring to a new machine

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Aug 13 14:34:53 BST 2022

[Please don't reply to messages of completely unrelated threads. It messes up
the grouping of the emails. Simply click on the address of the mailing list in
a message instead of hitting Reply to create a new discussion thread.]

On Samstag, 13. August 2022 14:03:34 CEST Ian Douglas wrote:
> How the hell do I transfer my mail to a new machine?
[snip]
> Is this just me, or is this process hopelessly broken?

The only recommended procedure is to copy your entire home directory from the
old machine to the new machine. As I have written repeatedly I have done this
for the last couple of decades and never had problems with lost emails, lost
passwords or lost settings.

If you insist on making a partial copy then you are on your own. Sorry, but
either you follow the recommended procedure or you have to live with the
consequences of not following it.

KMail and all the different parts that it makes use of including Akonadi and
KWallet build a complex system with configuration and data stored in a lot of
different places. Either you copy everything, or you take the opportunity and
set up everything from scratch which gets difficult if your email isn't stored
on remote IMAP servers.