Transferring to a new machine

Erik Quaeghebeur mail.kde.org at e3q.eu
Sat Aug 13 14:12:33 BST 2022

> Also, passwords are not exported. Kwallet does not use email addresses, but
> Akonadi handles... leaving me to guess which of 30 handles is which account.
> I tried exporting wallet from old box and importing on new box,
> but that does
> not seem to import the passwords either, and even if it did, Akonadi would
> likely have different handles for each account so it would not work.

Indeed, the resource numbers will not correspond, so login info entry will
be a manual process. Correspondence can be found in ~/.config/akonadi_*
files. However, it should be possible to export and reimport the passwords.

I would try making sure the akonadi server is stopped and then copy
*everything* over, including the db files (so everything akonadi-related in
~/.config/akonadi*, ~/.cache/akonadi*, ~/.local/share/akonadi*). That would
preserve the resource numbers, but is likely not considered good practice.

> Is this just me, or is this process hopelessly broken?

It is not you. The transfer process could be improved. But I think the
developers are aware, but just have no time.

Best,

Erik