mail bomb

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 01:30:51 BST 2022

One way to avoid the export/import issues is to not do it.  When I
move to a new computer I usually do a complete copy of my home
directory to the new machine.  Sometimes I just move the hard drive
between machines, sometimes I put the old disk in the new machine and
mount both disks, then copy the directory, and sometimes I do a
transfer over the network using a "flying tar" over ssh.

I have no faith in my ability to find everything I need to move over,
so I just bring everything.  It usually works well for me if I'm
careful to make sure that both machines are running the same software
before I transfer.  I've been doing this since at least 2005.

Michael

Michael