kmail continues to show read messages as unread

John White john at lawquest.com
Fri Sep 17 17:54:05 BST 2021

On Saturday, August 14, 2021 10:42:48 AM PDT John White wrote:

> > Hi John,
> >
> > Deleting the akonadi data and config does not delete your mail. Just don't
> > delete the mail storage. I don't think deleting kmails files does any
> > good.
> >
> > Before trying that, try running the following, preferably in a terminal:

> > Vacuum just cleans up your databases, and requires "lots of time and disk
> > space".
> > Fsck will try to fix inconsistemcies in the local storage, and also takes
> > time. Those commands spared me deleting akonadi data quite some times :)
> >
> > Kindly,
> > Anders
>
> Thanks Anders, but, sadly, running akonadictl vacuum and akonadictl fsck did
> not help. Though it otherwise works fine, my Kmail 5.9.3, on Debian Buster
> continues to show old, read emails as unread. Unless someone has a better
> or different idea (I will try most anything), later today (tonight) I will
> try deleting the akonadi data and config files, assuming I can figure out
> how to do that.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated
>
> John

Today, for example, Kmail got all my new messages right, but it also showed a
bunch of emails received and read on 9/10/2021 as unread.  This error must be
before my filtering system kicks in as the 9/10/21 messages were all sent to
their appropriate folders as unread.

I went to each folder and clicked on the email and, with one exception, kmail
then showed them as read.  With regard to the one exception, when clicking on
it Kmail showed the box saying something like it was fetching it.  I have
learned in that case to quickly close the box or kmail (and the computer
itself) will eventually freeze.  Nonetheless this email showed as "read" when
I clicked, while in the appropriate folder "show all emails as read."

For the last year or so I have occasionally apprised this list of this problem
on the off-chance that it will trigger a response from someone who has had
this problem before.

Needless to say, I am not hopeful, but any suggestions are welcome.

John