migrating kmail to new computer

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Mar 14 15:51:03 GMT 2021

Hi John.

John White - 14.03.21, 01:16:20 CET:
> Any thoughts on best practices here? I am using kmail 5.9.3 on a
> debian buster (debian 10) system. User name is same on both
> computers.
>
> I want to, in effect, import the email now on my old computer into the
> new one. I have a huge amount of email.

My personal recommendation: Do not import. Copy configuration, database
and mail dir folders. The only challenge for this is to make sure you
got everything, cause it is spread to various locations.

We have had this topic on this list several times before. Please look in
the archives.

I recently migrated to a new (used) laptop. I just copied the complete
home directory… after making sure KDEPIM, Akonadi and currently in use
PostgreSQL version is installed, it worked out of the box.

In my practical experience – albeit years ago – exporting and importing
never really worked reliable. And it was very slow.

Thank you,
--
Martin