[KDE-pim] New Install: AKONADI wit PostgreSQL

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Jan 1 11:00:33 GMT 2021

Andreas Mair - 01.01.21, 10:44:34 CET:
> Hakan, you're so right. That's exactly my experience. I loved KDEPIM
> before akonadi. I also liked what they promised that akonadi could
> be.
>
> But I didn't get akonadi to work reliable here. No special setup, just
> IMAP in the beginning. As I needed a reliable solution I moved to
> thunderbird years ago. It simply works. No need to be any DB admin.
> No need to think about what DB to use. No need to tune any DB engine.
> No need to know any workarounds to get akonadi back on track again.

While I can administrate a database, I do so on my servers, I certainly
do not like to do this for my mail, calendar and address book.
Postponing update to PostgreSQL 13 already. I have 12 and 13 installed
and I intend to do the upgrade during my holidays, but the user in me
just thinks "what is even going on here? why would I have to do this?".

Okay, with MariaDB, you don't need to do these updates, but even there,
I once ran the MariaDB upgrade thing, cause some performance tables have
been incorrect in the new version.

I do think the basic idea behind Akonadi is sound. But it needs to use a
backend storage that does not need hand-holding once in a while.

In addition to that akonadictl fsck reports issues that it cannot fix.
This has been this way for more than 5 years already. Akonadi does not
try again on item without remote ID and it cannot fix quite some other
issues.

That all written:

At the moment with PostgreSQL 12 it works well enough here *most* of the
time. And KMail is just such a wonderful application! I also use
KOrganizer quite a lot.

A happy, peaceful, healthy and abundant year to all of you!

And many thanks for all the KDEPIM developers for doing what they can to
make KDEPIM a good experience.

Best,
--
Martin