missing 12GB of mail going back 2 decades after reboot

Ian Douglas ian at zti.co.za
Wed Dec 29 22:15:49 GMT 2021

On Monday, 20 December 2021 14:31:06 SAST gene heskett wrote:

> Most of the custom filters AND FOLDERS I rebuilt were erased by a reboot to
> install a fresh kernel. That's over 10 gigabytes of old mail, carefully
> sorted into their own folders that some bug wiped out.

Somewhat related.

A few weeks back, had similar issue after reboot (some days after software
update).

Trying to open a mail crashed KMail.

What I did to "fix" was rename ~/.local/share/akonadi and restart akonadi and
kmail. I then had to redo everything (folders and filters etc, and copy all
the mails (also decades worth) from the 100 numbered folders in akonadi/
file_db_data to the new folder tree (created a work directory there) and then
rebuild my filters to sort into proper folders. Made quite a mess oby
duplicating messages. Also lost some mail.

Tonight a similar thing happened ... akonadi destroyed my proper named folders
and randomly put all the mail back into 100 numbered folders. WTF is that for?

It happened when I was fiddling with the settings on a folder that is a
mailing list.

Anyway, your mail (mostly) is likely still on disk ... try looking in
~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Ian
--