missing 12GB of mail going back 2 decades after reboot

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Dec 22 13:11:57 GMT 2021

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 3:33:26 AM EST Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 22. Dezember 2021 02:04:26 CET gene heskett wrote:
> > but as you can see, they are all empty. And i've prowled the whole .local
> > tree. I do have, recovered from backups, the whole old kmail tree, and it
> > complete to the last full on Dec 2 I think, but no way to make this new
> > kmail5 see it. And that question has been asked in several formats with no
> > replies by anyone who actually knows how this new kmail works.
> >
> > I also have alongside that tree, a Mail.directory that does contain what I
> > assume was imported from the old Mail tree, but again this kmail cannot
> > now
> > see it. And nobody seems to know how to make it work.
>
> I think the problem is that too many people, all with best intentions, gave
> you different advise. On one hand that's awesome because it shows that we
> have a small community on this mailing list who is trying to help each
> other. On the other hand it can be confusing for the person seeking help.
>
> I think that I know pretty well how KMail and Akonadi work. I have migrated
> my local mail in KMail from KDE 2 times until today on my PC. On my laptop
> I chose to do a fresh restart many years ago, but that was rather painless
> because by then I only used a few IMAP accounts with server-side filtering.
>
> On 3 December 2021, David Jarvie wrote how he managed to get KMail use his
> old mail in ~/Mail.

I don't have that msg, Ingo, that was the morning my newest hd puked up its
guts. So this is an all new, from bare metal raid10 etc build. And due to
bullseye crashing, my email corpus here starts on this past Sunday.

Link to the archived copy?

And I do have it talking direct to the imap server at shentel.net, That is how
I'm getting/sending all  email atm.

And sorting into local-folders, not associated with "IMAP Account 2"which did
not disappear when a message from a hotmail account crashed kmail due to
hotmails broken MIME, forcing several reboots Saturday, until I did a text
single and used mc to find and delete that msg by brute force. A repeat of
that roughly 6 hour, multiple reboots debacle will get me to sort ALL hotmail
straight to /dev/null. If enough folks do that, maybe hotmail will fix it but
I'm not holding my breath.

> This should also work for you to make KMail see the old
> mail store that you restored from the backup. Also, think I already wrote
> that you should try to talk to the IMAP servers directly with the new KMail
> instead of trying to make your old complex setup, that may have served you
> well with the pre-Akonadi KMail, work with the "new" Akonadi-based KMail.
>
> So, my final advise is:
> * Ditch your old complex mail setup. (I understand that this may be
> difficult because it has served you well in the past,

yes, in various incarnations over twenty years. This way is 3 or 4 times as
many mouse clicks to make it work. Computers should NOT make additional work,
but this way does.

> but I think now it's
> time to let go and give the new (better?) KMail a chance.)
> * Have another look at David Jarvie's mail to see how he got his old mail
> into KMail.
> * Make KMail talk directly to your IMAP accounts.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

Thank you Ingo, take care and stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis