missing 12GB of mail going back 2 decades after reboot

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Dec 22 08:33:26 GMT 2021

On Mittwoch, 22. Dezember 2021 02:04:26 CET gene heskett wrote:
> but as you can see, they are all empty. And i've prowled the whole .local
> tree. I do have, recovered from backups, the whole old kmail tree, and it
> complete to the last full on Dec 2 I think, but no way to make this new
> kmail5 see it. And that question has been asked in several formats with no
> replies by anyone who actually knows how this new kmail works.
>
> I also have alongside that tree, a Mail.directory that does contain what I
> assume was imported from the old Mail tree, but again this kmail cannot now
> see it. And nobody seems to know how to make it work.

I think the problem is that too many people, all with best intentions, gave
you different advise. On one hand that's awesome because it shows that we have
a small community on this mailing list who is trying to help each other. On
the other hand it can be confusing for the person seeking help.

I think that I know pretty well how KMail and Akonadi work. I have migrated my
local mail in KMail from KDE 2 times until today on my PC. On my laptop I
chose to do a fresh restart many years ago, but that was rather painless
because by then I only used a few IMAP accounts with server-side filtering.

On 3 December 2021, David Jarvie wrote how he managed to get KMail use his old
mail in ~/Mail. This should also work for you to make KMail see the old mail
store that you restored from the backup. Also, think I already wrote that you
should try to talk to the IMAP servers directly with the new KMail instead of
trying to make your old complex setup, that may have served you well with the
pre-Akonadi KMail, work with the "new" Akonadi-based KMail.

So, my final advise is:
* Ditch your old complex mail setup. (I understand that this may be difficult
because it has served you well in the past, but I think now it's time to let
go and give the new (better?) KMail a chance.)
* Have another look at David Jarvie's mail to see how he got his old mail into
KMail.
* Make KMail talk directly to your IMAP accounts.